7.10.2013

A Glimpse

by Rachel A.


photo credit: Nubia Allen
When we decided to move to Big Sky country, I knew the summers would be incredible. Nearly every week we've been packing up and heading for the hills on Friday, then spending all Monday trying to recover. Our kids are getting some great cousin and grandparent time in, and we're all soaking up the outdoors life we were missing back East. It has been amazing, but honestly, I'm exhausted! 

Two weeks ago, we traveled to my husband's uncle's ranch, just outside of Lewistown, Montana (pretty much the center of the state) to help with a cattle drive. Every summer a bunch of family and friends gather at the ranch to move cattle from the lower pasture to an upper pasture, where they'll spend the summer getting nice and fat. It's a unpredictable 30 mile round-trip process, with the first 15 miles taking about twice as long as the second... those horses know they're headed home!

Having grown up in more urban areas, and especially being so far removed from this type of environment for the last several years, this event really feels like you get to take a step back in time (aside from the LARA Bars, Camelbaks and 4-wheelers). I'm not sure I would have survived back then, although I'm pretty sure my husband was made for it.

During the drive I had several moments when I realized how lucky I was to be able to participate in this unique event. It may be a bit self-indulgent, but I thought I'd share a peek into the life I get to enjoy now.

Many of the photos were taken by my amazing photographer cousin, Nubia Allen. I love her and how the world appears through her camera. Enjoy!

photo credit: Nubia Allen
photo credit: Nubia Allen
photo credit: Nubia Allen
photo credit: Nubia Allen
photo credit: Nubia Allen

photo credit: Nubia Allen

photo credit: Nubia Allen

photo credit: Nubia Allen

 


Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous country.. and you look gorgeous as a cowgirl! :) We're glad you are in the Big Sky country. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that looks EPIC. And Shiloh isn't the only one who looks like a natural our there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How in the world have you done this more than me?? Sigh....someday! :-) Loved this post and pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Montana is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Montana is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband's from a ranch family, and I live for cattle drives. It's such a productive way to enjoy the outdoors. Next time I should bring my camera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I moved from Kalispell when I was 20 & have been wanting to return for 20+ years. So happy to see others able to enjoy my home state!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover